Home Page > Muzeum Wsi Opolskiej > YourWay Plus Beacon: Peasant cottage from Kozuby

Peasant cottage from Kozuby, 1850

It was constructed in 1850, which is confirmed by the date cut on one of joists in the chamber. The interior of the building is divided into a hall, two chambers and three lards.

The village of Kozuby is located in the northern region of Opole Voivodeship where in the years after II World War, a lot of families still inhabited wooden buildings. Therefore, in this peasant hut, the interior of a rural house from 1950s was reconstructed in the Museum.

Over these years, more and more intense contacts of rural population with the town, significantly influenced traditional folk culture. A common wish to raise the standard of living brought about adopting the norms of urban life which was shown by, among others, the way of furnishing and modernising house interiors.

In the kitchen, which was no longer a sleeping place, a three-door cupboard with a glass upper section draws attention (so called bitej) , as well as a table with a sliding table top in which there are two holes for basins. In larger kitchens, it used to play a role of an additional table, arranged apart from the dining one. Formerly encountered pieces of tapestry and curtains embroidered by hand, hung above cupboards and on the shelves, after 1945 became more common, however factory made products prevailed, which can be seen in the d├ęcor of the interior. Next to the kitchen, there is a small lard in which food supplies, kitchenware and small household appliances were kept.

In the bedroom, there is a bedroom furniture set composed of double beds, bedside tables placed next to them, a three-door wardrobe and a dressing table with a mirror. At the foot of the bed, a baby cot was placed (cots became common at the beginning of 1940s when they were a part of a national starter kit). In the chambers next to the bedroom, rooms for kids and old hosts were arranged.

Message in Polish

Message in English

Message in German